Oral health is as important as physical health. But why wait for a tooth problem or infection to occur? Maintain oral hygiene and prevent yourself from such problems. Here are some simple tips to manage your oral health at home!
Brush your teeth at least twice a day; preferably a morning and at night. A toothbrush that best fits your comfort, fluoride toothpaste and proper brushing technique are key ingredients to effective brushing. Just follow these steps and you will do great.
- Position your brush at an angle of 45˚ along the gum line and swipe it away from the gum line. Move the brush up and down, back forth for each tooth. Make sure that the bristles reach each and every corner of the teeth and gums.
- Carry this procedure for outer surface of teeth first, then the inner surface and finally the chewing surfaces.
- Brush your tongue and roof of your mouth to remove any present bacteria.
- Rinse your mouth with water thoroughly.
Make sure to get a new toothbrush after every four months. If you have braces, then you need to take extra care in brushing every part of your teeth. If you are looking for best dental clinics in Brampton to get more guidance then visit www.kennedysquaredental.com for details.
Brushing should be followed by flossing. It helps remove any remaining food particles that your toothbrush may have missed out. Follow these steps to floss your teeth:
- Use an 18” – 24” dental floss.
- Wrap both the edges between your index and middle finger with only about 2 inches of middle portion remaining.
- Hold the floss tightly and rub the middle portion around each tooth and beneath the gum line gently. Do not rub it against your gums.
Use of Mouthwash
Use of mouthwash along with regular brushing and flossing is highly recommended. Flossing may loosen debris in your mouth but not remove them completely. Use of mouthwash helps in that.
One of the reasons for your bad breath may be your dry mouth. Mouthwash keeps your mouth moist and free of bad odors. But you need to be careful when selecting one for use. Some mouthwash may over dry your mouth tissues; resulting in ulcer.
Avoid Harmful Foods
Carbonated beverages and fruit drinks contain high levels of sugars. When these sugars breakdown in the mouth, acids are produced that cause erosion of tooth enamel and makes teeth more susceptible to decay. They also contain harmful additives that stain your teeth or discolor them. Other drinks like coffee and alcohol contain high mount of phosphorous. Although phosphorous is recommended for good teeth, extreme levels may deplete calcium off the body. This in return, can cause many oral diseases. Persistent use of such drinks is very harmful for your teeth and mouth.
Garlic when reaches the lungs through bloodstream expels gas. This causes bad breath. Left over bits of proteins (from meat and other sources) may decay and cause bad mouth odors. Use of such foods should be minimized.
These tips are related to oral care at home, but complete oral care will not be possible until you pay regular visits to dentist Brampton.